I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

Anyone got a Digi 001?

I stupidly bought a Digi 001 the other day, without checking its requirements first. To be fair, the seller deliberately omitted them from his listing, but knew exactly what they were.

Long story short... it won't work in my Mac as it's not PCI-e. It won't work in my PC, as it needs Windows XP SP1 at the latest. 64 bit operating systems don't work at all, and Vista / 7 are iffy to get working. I have, of course, Windows 7 64 bit. Typical!

There is talk that it works on the later service packs of XP although you need to update Pro Tools and patch it. My Digi 001 comes with Pro Tools LE 5.1.1.

This page has drivers for LE 7 or LE 6.1.1. No good.

This page has the ASIO driver for LE 5.3.1. So I need to update.

Well... since I tried the other day and moaned at Avid on Twitter.... they may not have replied, but they seem to have restored their archive!

This page links to the 5.3.1 update - the link didn't work. Now it does - YAY! I assume that my 5.1.1 licence will only allow me to upgrate to this version - not LE 6? As this page says you had to purchase 6. Long gone from the store, naturally.

According to this thread on the Avid forums....

For 001 on XP SP2 and above, you need:

Again, the driver downloads were broken (although the pages still worked) - but they're magically fixed now! Doesn't help me much, though - I don't have Pro Tools LE 6.4!

As for the PACE driver, do I have to download iLok License Manager from here? I don't have an iLok USB dongle - do I need one?

If anyone has a Digi 001, how do you use it? Would you go for XP SP1, a later XP service pack, or Windows 7 32 bit? I wish I could use 64 bit (and not be limited to 32Gb RAM!), but oh well. If it's too much hassle, I might end up getting rid of the Digi 001 and either getting a Digi 002 or Digi 003, or perhaps forget Avid altogether and get a MOTU. Ultimately, something firewire would be nice - then I could use my Mac!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Unfortunately i can not help, but i posted your question on soundpeaks facebook page... The least i can do
    There will come a time when you've tried everything you're not and the only thing left will be what you are

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Thanks! I'll have to find a spare hard drive and install XP SP1 - see how that goes!

I did find a post on Avid forums that suggested it was possible to by LE 6 in 2013 still, but the link no longer works, sadly.

I could actually get an old Mbox with Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 for less than I paid for this, which is a bit upsetting! And it would work with my Mac.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    i don't have a digi001 but i do have one of the older Mbox from about the same era so I have 'some' idea of the problems you are encountering.

In the end I gave up battling with arcane drivers and operating system incompatibilities and bought a cheap interface from Presonus; which I just plugged in and started using with no fuss or issues.

Put the digi001 back on ebay and buy something else. That's the best advice I can give.

tB.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Sadly, it's probably going to be the best bet. I might go down the MOTU route - always liked their stuff. When it worked. I seem to recall having an issue with a MTC, 2408 and a DAT player pumping random noise at regular intervals into the MOTU!

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Well... I came up with a solution....

I got a good deal on a Mbox Pro with Pro Tools 11 (and upgrade rights to 12)! Sadly, it's not rack mount, nor does it have any computer i/o other than firewire, so I can't use it on my lovely new laptop. It was that or get a MOTU. I could have got an 828x and used it via Thunderbolt on my laptop and USB on my Mac Pro (pre-Thunderbolt) or one of the Hybrids (828mk3 / 896mk3) that support USB and firewire. However, they are considerably more expensive and don't include Pro Tools!

To be honest, I'm not even sure how long the Mbox will last - once I've got another desk, it might well become inadequate. At that point, I could consider a MOTU rather than the costly Avid route.

Thread Information