I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

My concert photography

Hi guys,

Well, I came back because of that spammer, then realized it's been over a year - oops! Sorry about that - I've been having some health issues and pretty much only get to visit one online community now, when I used to visit several.

Something that I still enjoy, when I have the time and energy, is photography. I'm fortunate enough to be involved with a local newspaper and most of the local music venues know me, so I shoot concerts for the paper.

I have put a few of my photos on Flickr here. However, here are a few select shots:

Fear Factory
    This was my first big gig - talk about being thrown in at the deep end! I had only just upgraded my camera and there was NO pit. Where better to practice with your new camera worth thousands of Pounds than the mosh pit of a heavy metal gig, right?!

The venue staff were really nice to me and let me up on the balcony, which was closed due to an unsafe handrail!

DSC_1637 by concertographer, on Flickr

The Proclaimers
    My first pass at the main venue in town. Their manager was lovely - very relaxed on rules. The usual "first 3 songs, no flash" (sometimes with stipulations on whether or not you can shoot from the pit) became "you can shoot at the front for the first 3 songs, then shoot from the back if you like!" Unheard of for a seated gig. The boys were lovely, too - they stayed for over an hour signing autographs, chatting and having photos taken.

DSC_8241 by concertographer, on Flickr

Babyshambles
    My first pit gig in the main venue here. We had to sign a waiver, stating we wouldn't sue Pete Doherty, the band aor management for any damage to our equipment or ourselves! We also had our equipment taken from us if we wanted to remain to review the gig past the first three songs. This may have had something to do with the fact that Pete was barely able to stand, let alone sing, by the end. It's sad to see someone in that state.

DSC_3963 by concertographer, on Flickr

The Darkness
    Well, this gig was a joy to attend! Permission to Land in its entirety, plus more - including a Christmas mini-set! A proper show-off rock set, too - drum riser, lots of speaker cabs - great stuff!

Probably my favourite photo of the gig - a bit grainy, but a real rock photo. Even though I didn't get Justin in this one!

DSC_7437b by concertographer, on Flickr

The Stranglers
    Hell yeah! Considering I don't really actively listen to them, I was amazed how many of their songs I knew. Good old punk rock! The venue was PACKED!

DSC_2099 by concertographer, on Flickr

Imelda May
    I always used to say that I didn't have a favourite band or singer. I'd list a multitude of artists I really liked, from a wide range of genres - rock, indie, britpop, rock 'n' roll, jazz, blues.... you name it! I now have a favourite. Imelda is INCREDIBLE live - and it helps no end that her band are so talented. I have seen her live more times than any other band or artist.

This one was actually at Roundhouse in London - a fabulous venue.

DSC_2773 by concertographer, on Flickr

That will do for previews! Feel free to check out the albums!

Other artists I've photographed include:

The Pigeon Detectives
    Emmy and Tim (Tim Wheeler of Ash and Emmy the Great)
    Kat Men (Slim Jim Phantom of Stray Cats with Darrel Higham and Al Gare from Imelda May's band)
    Nine Below Zero
    The Bad Shepherds (Adrian Edmonson from The Young Ones / Bottom doing folk covers of punk songs)
    Elkie Brooks
    10cc
    The Selecter
    The Skatalites
    Bad Manners
    The Toasters
    Roy Ellis (Symarip)
    The Pioneers
    Winston Francis
    Chris Farlowe
    Chris Montez
    ...and many more!

Oh yeah, plus Linford Christie and Prince Harry!

If you're not already fed up, there are probably some more albums on my Facebook page - if you like my work feel free to like the page!
    Last edited by retro; 09-08-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

Skill level
    Amateur
    Gorgeous captures!
    Continue the marvelous concert pics.
    Happy shooting.

From the list I know only 10cc ;-(

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    great pics thanks for sharing your work

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Welcome back retro!

Your photographs are great, thanks for sharing them with us. That first one, fear factory, is outstanding. I can almost hear the band.

Please feel free to post some more of your great pics here. I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

tB.

ARTiST-MATRiX
    Nice shots.
    I like the first, black n' white one with the two bass drums the most
    Last edited by ARTiST-MATRiX; 09-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Wow.. what a nice set of pics.
    I have to admit, though, that I was even more pleased and entertained by the comments you wrote for each shot.

Great stuff.

Thank you for posting this

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LeWelsch View Post
    From the list I know only 10cc ;-(
    Some of them are probably more obscure. There are some ska legends - I've photographed most of the first wave survivors. A fair few are probably only well known in the UK. You might know Chris Montez for singing Let's Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_Xsr3jFYg

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Hey retro

thank you for posting and commenting these nice photos... Very well done, i enjoyed watching and reading a lot.
    I hope you are going to show us some more...
    Hope your health problems got better <3

Gonna check your Flickr & Facebook pages now...
    There will come a time when you've tried everything you're not and the only thing left will be what you are

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    great thread, great photos

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Thanks, guys! Been quite busy but that has included more concerts!

I haven't really shared any online as I haven't had the time, but they've been featured in the local newspaper. I'll get round to uploading them and share a few more with you

Photographed Paloma Faith, but the contract I had to sign prohibits me from sharing those. I should be able to put them on my website, though.

Thread Information