Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

[Tut] Making your own Groove Quantise template in Studio One

Disclaimer: tB knew nothing about Groove Quantise in Studio One until earlier this evening. The following information may be completely wrong.

Here is the scenario:

You have an audio track recorded by a real person. It has a 'loose' timing. Perhaps a drum track like this:

You want to use some sequenced parts with it but they all sound too straight, too on the grid. The groove quantise feature in S1 is really easy to use if you have a template to use but what if you need to make a template from one of your audio tracks? There is no instructions for that, I looked. Well, here are some hints.

1. You can just drag the audio file into the groove template box (Click on the Q button, choose groove rather than grid and then drag the audio there.)

S1 will automatically detect transients in the audio file and will create the groove template for you. You can then press "Q" to apply the groove quantise.

This is great when it works because it is so quick. Unfortunately S1's transient detection algorithm isn't particularly accurate and results may not give you what you want. Even worse, there may be beats that you want to snap to that are 'missing' in the template. Applying a groove quantise from a drum kit to a bass-line in this way will probably make the bass line sound like it was played by a drunkard.

Try it if you like. It didn't work very well for me.

2. Fortunately you can change the transient markers (or Bend Markers as they are confusingly called.) You can't move them (afaik) but you can delete them and draw in new ones with the Bend Tool.

I found that it was best not to use treansient detection at all; but better to zoom in and place them manually. That way they line up better and you can 'guess' the beats in between.

This is what it looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GQ1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	243

Here is what it sounds like with a 1/8th hi hat unquantised

And now groove quantised.

[Note: I'm not trying to make it sound good here. I'm trying to demonstrate how it works.]

Here is the same thing with a simple bass-line. Notice the off-beat note. I drew in a bend marker for that as well. You have to think ahead like that or it won't work for you.
    Straight

Groove Quantised

Yes. The effect is subtle but if you listen carefully the first version sounds like it was done on a 'reason' grid and the second version less so. It's not like it was played on a real bass or anything but it follows the groove of the drums more closely. I did say that this was a 'how to' tut not a 'how to be musical' tut. Obviously the best way to do this would be to put a good drummer and a good bass player in a room together and not feed them until they create a great groove.

3. You can also use Melodyne's "extract midi" function to create a midi file that can be used to make the groove template. This has the advantage of extracting midi velocity as well as timing but it is much more fiddly to implement. If it is just timing you are after then method 2 is quicker.

Here is an example using Melodyne to get the timing an velocity info from the drum track:

And here are how the notes line up (or not).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gq2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	244

I am tired now. Any questions will have to wait. And if you know a better way to do this then please let me know.

Your Badger.

tB.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    i wondered what the hell all the samples were for in my soundcloud feed!
    makes sense now

Thread Information