Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

Distopian Jazz

Music is a great way to express how you feel...

Except...

Right now I feel like this.

tB.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Mastering engineer
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    lol, i feel more like the bass track : ))

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    i like these sounds
    i'm not sure i like what there all doing at certain times...
    i like the smoothness of this....
    it is weird!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Thanks for the comments folks.

A dystopia is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is the opposite of a utopia.

Thus distopian jazz (sic) is a 'thrown together' project that represents much about how I am currently feeling. Notes and sounds, thrown at a canvas, that rub uncomfortably against each other and rhythms that nearly work together and yet still fail to convince. Even the title is a mis-spelling.

You are not supposed to like it. You are supposed to be mildly disturbed by it. :grin:

tB.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    So will you play us "Grapplers Of Subconsciousness" Shadow?

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I think a nice cup of tea and some lie downs each day from 4-4.30pm each day for 2 weeks is what the doctor prescribes for you tB :P

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    I would not label it as jazz, really. And I was not in the least disturbed by listening to it.

To me the whole track sounds too smooth and "together" to be disturbing. No crashing notes.. no out of tune melodies.. the whole thing seems to fit quite well together to me.

The "insisting" bass-line prevents the pice from becoming totally relaxing (which might be a good thing) but, to me at least, it remains in the comfort zone.

Thanks for sharing it

ShadowWarrior's track, on the other hand... Disturbing is just 1 of many words I could use to describe the feeling of uneasiness and un-comfort while listening to it.
    I am not acquainted with the genre so I cannot comment much, but I would definitely place it in my "have a nightmare" tracks folder.

Don't get me wrong though.. it sounds great. Highs are clear and defined and bass is solid. Perhaps, technically, I would have added a little low-low end to it.. make the rib-cage shake and it's perfect!!!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I would not label it as jazz, really. And I was not in the least disturbed by listening to it.

To me the whole track sounds too smooth and "together" to be disturbing. No crashing notes.. no out of tune melodies.. the whole thing seems to fit quite well together to me.

The "insisting" bass-line prevents the pice from becoming totally relaxing (which might be a good thing) but, to me at least, it remains in the comfort zone.

Thanks for sharing it
    Well, you are correct in that it is not jazz. Jazz is clever and difficult and way beyond my musical capabilities. I could do Jazz less well than an amoeba could get a job as chief scientific officer on the next space mission.

It is the antithesis of Jazz. It is notes thrown carelessly onto a piano roll, using a mouse. I understand little of music theory and used exactly none of what little I know in making this dalliance. You have correctly 'called me out'.

I should have called it "Something I threw together one evening when I was feeling a bit odd and couldn't be bothered to set up a keyboard and spend hours doing it properly because the mood I was in I would probably just get cross and so I just got a mouse and poked any old nonsense onto the piano roll"

It's a more accurate title but prolly a bit too long. :grin:

Shadow's offering on the other hand... Yes that is more than a bit disturbing. I love it. Although it makes me want to pull a duvet over my head and hide behind the sofa (@SW in a good way).

tB.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by theBadger View Post
    I should have called it "Something I threw together one evening when I was feeling a bit odd and couldn't be bothered to set up a keyboard and spend hours doing it properly because the mood I was in I would probably just get cross and so I just got a mouse and poked any old nonsense onto the piano roll"

It's a more accurate title but prolly a bit too long. :grin:

tB.
    That's a great title tB.. if I was you I would seriously consider using it

Thread Information