Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

Q. What to do in limited time?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	time.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	75 During the height of the cold war, an American early warning system of impending nuclear Holocaust was installed somewhere in north Yorkshire, England. This would give strategic air command about thirty minutes warning that the world was about to end... and... as a side benefit... the inhabitants of Yorkshire would get 4 minutes to slip into their cricket whites so they were ready to play the game in the after-life.

There was some speculation at the time as to how much benefit 4 minutes of warning before Armaggedon could be worth... What can you do in four minutes?

Most people would say they would have sex. But it took tB thirty years to find the delightful Mrs Badger... And a further six weeks to lure her into bed.

These days, what with work and hungry badger cubs and all the other demands on my time... My time in the studio is so limited that it seems like the 4 minute warning every day!

How should I spend the small amount of precious time I get in the studio? It's too little time to write a song. Far too little to learn to play a new instrument.

I would like tips on: productive ways to use a few precious minutes of studio time.

tB.

I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Amateur
    My advice would be to stay focused on the one track til completion, and not make numerous incomplete ones. Keep pushing, use retrospective record, get many ideas down and come back next time for a arrangement of ideas, and the next four minutes for a mix down.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Hello,

i would say, if the free time is to strictly limited, do what gives you the best feeling.

eg: playing your favorite instrument for a few minutes, might make you feel better then playing it for 0 minutes.

4 minutes are not much, so i think you can't do much things in 4 minutes. Load the mix from yesterday to do the mixdown? That's hard in just 4 minutes.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Guitars been with me for so long i think id load my favorite reverb and delay settings and jam away those last minutes ....

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    "productive ways to use a few precious minutes of studio time"

wow that's a tough one...as alphatonez said, that time can be taken up in just loading up the s/w and song!

I am with cheesey; when I have only a few minutes I usually pull out the guitar...or I would sit at my piano and jam a little...

Studio time though...it really depends on your personal goals imo...hard to say otherwise imo...so from that point of view I also agree with alphatonez - do something that feels nice

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    In the brief time between feeding my children and jump-starting the van that belongs to the man who came to fix the boiler...

I had about 40 minutes of blissful clear minutes studio time!

Just long enough to find out whether Reggae is difficult.

(But unfortunately not nearly long enough to hire a proper singer!)

[mp3]http://www.soundpeak.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=81&d=1367356389[/mp3]

And yes, reggae is beyond the capabilities of a hurried badger and his piano..

But it was fun finding out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Hey tB,

hehe did you do that?

I like it, the music gives me a happy feeling, together with the sun that's shining through my window right now, on a lovely morning

cheers,
    alphatonez

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    ha Hothouse Flowers eat your heart out! (what a bizarre phrase lol)

Hothouse Flowers hold a special place in my memories Aside from the soppy lyrics the vibe is so "sunny Saturday morning" for me I love it.

Your song is easily on the same level for me tB I think you have found a secret calling! More pls!

Thread Information