Thread: Open A

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur

Open A

Here I am again.

This time I've chosen to propose toyour scrutiny a 12 strings acoustic guitar driven piece.
    Like manyn of my pieces it was born as a solo guitar piece and I still performe it like that and it works. Here, however, I could not resist calling in the rest of the band.. one by one...
    Hope you like it

https://soundcloud.com/moosestudio-1/open-a

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    theBadger believes in giving truthful criticism. I hope you don't mind moose.

I like your 'band'a lot. You clearly have a talent for arranging multiple parts and making them sound distinct and different. Often with your songs it works well.

On this track I found the 'band' distracting and unnecessary.

Very nicely done but...

I yearned to hear the solo 12 string part on its own.

Perhaps subtly include the bass part because that actually added something. And shorten the arrangement to around 3 mins.

Despite the fact that tB knows nothing... you know i'm right because that's how you originally composed the piece.

Trust your instincts my very musically talented friend. :grin:

theKnowNothingBadger.

Edit: Oh yes, and unusually for a species with a very short attention span, I listened to your track all the way through with a big grin of enjoyment... twice... before posting this comment.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    If I did mind I would not be here, would I now?

Working alone on my music from start to finish, not just composing but recording, mixing and mastering too means that the only chance I have to get some opinion is after the whole work is done.

It's always hard to impossible to tell an artist what should or not be done and in that respect I know the final decision is personal, regardless of what anyone might say.

In my case once I let my babies out I have a so hard fomed idea of the piece that I ralely change anything but this does not mean I don't listen or make use of criticisms. On the contrary.

Occasionally as a result of others comments, and to my big surprise, I've caught myself muting a track prior to mix or something like that, or lowering a fader or re-starting a whole mix from scratch.

But what any and all comments and criticisms are useful for to me is on the next track/composition.. the one I have not yet done.. the one still to be created.

At that moment all ideas, comments praises and criticisms I've previously been exposed to will help me to get closer to an ideal perfection.. the piece everybody will like upon listening to it, not just me.

So I thank you very much for saying straight to me what you think about Open A... doing so you helped me getting closer..

Thread Information