Semi-pro

Do you always tell the truth?

Do you always tell the truth?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bum.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	66

I don't mean, when your wife/gf/sister/mum/friends asks "Does my bum look big in these Lycra hot pants?"

Clearly, you should lie like a statesman under those circumstances. Do not say, "It makes your already fat arse look like two VolksWagons... fighting over a parking space... in a bag."

Unless life has been really good to you recently and you are in the mood for a change of fortunes.

I mean...

When you are collaborating with other musicians... do you always tell the truth about what you think of what they are playing?

Again, I not suggesting you should tell the person who played the bass part on your new recording that it sounds like shit. Unless you have already found a new bass player. You can still be tactful. (Unless he's a truly terrible bass player.)

A little story.

I was working on a new track with my band recently and I discovered a great chord. I found it in the usually way; by mistake, and the more I played it the more I liked it.
    At a rehearsal I introduced my discovery to the band and the guitarist, always one to speak his mind, told me quite concisely why it was wrong. I was a little hurt at the time, but we worked through it and found an even better chord that was just as entertaining but which didn't sound like it belonged in a completely different song. I quite like our new chord now and probably use it too often.

The moral of this story is; when working with other musicians, don't be rude or offensive, but do tell the truth in a constructive way. That way everyone benefits.

tB.

I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Amateur
    no i dont always tell the truth
    afterall art is .... your own taste
    i could come back later and love what has been rec orded. Its got to pass the time test.
    Im good with critical analysis and constructive feed, but havent always told the truth.

Imagine what you would do to the confidence of a beginning violin student if you told the truth.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by theBadger View Post
    The moral of this story is; when working with other musicians, don't be rude or offensive, but do tell the truth in a constructive way. That way everyone benefits.
    I second that. I do say the truth whenever it is possible.

I also do wish that others tell their true opinion about my music, so i might be able to learn and to improve.
    It doesn't help me if someone tells me that he doesn't like my track, because of the genre. That is just taste, ok but not helpful for me

My 2 cents,
    alphatonez

ps: if that butt is big in those hot pants, i also say that and add that i love how it looks

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Singer

Skill level
    Amateur
    I never lie..... ok thats a lie ....
    I try to help and encourage people... some times a small fib is required...

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    I do not lying, if I am not forced to lie and if I can avoid it. For me, its better to shut up then to lie.
    +1

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Mastering engineer
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Singer
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I am incapable of telling the truth. Everything I say is a lie. In fact, I am lying right now.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnLockheed View Post
    I am incapable of telling the truth. Everything I say is a lie. In fact, I am lying right now.
    rotfl

Thread Information