I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

Making money from your music?

Can you make $ money from your music?

I should declare at this point that I don't know the answer to this question, yet.
    tB makes a little pocket money from performing live, hiring out equipment and running FOH live mixing, but we are talking peanuts.

For example, though the story may be apocryphal;

The song "the lion sleeps tonight" (Wimboweh.. Wimboweh.. etc) netted it's author, Solomon Ntsele, less than 1. However, the royalties due from the Broadway Version of The Lion King should have been worth $millions.

In today's digital music age...

Is it possible to make money from music, and if so, what should we do and what pitfalls should we look out for?

This thread is about the do's and don'ts of the new age of the music business.

Please 'chip in' with your thoughts.

tB.

[Edit]

I'll start us off with this interesting and controversial article about the dubious practices of the evil mega-giant Twitter and the poor hard-done-by philanthropic startup Flattr.... or... the illegal thieving Flattr and the principled and responsible twitter...

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...20130416flattr

Or... perhaps it's about the poor independent songwriter getting ripped off from every angle like Solomon Ntsele all over gain?

N.B. First person to mention Spotify or Pandora has to buy everyone else a cream cake!

tB.

Thoughts?

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I can not speak from personal experience yet, but i have read some tipps, which make really sence to me.

You need to build up a fan base of minimum 1000 people. They need to be or become real fans.

Create a website for you or your band and offer some free stuff for download (songs, desktop-pictures, apps, etc). Also make sure, people can buy your music and other merchandise stuff from your website. You can use sites like itunes. Allow your fans to buy single songs and not just whole albums. People might spend 1$ for a single song, while they maybe won't pay a higher price for a whole album, especially if they do not like all songs on it.

For merchandise stuff, offer t-shirts, mousepads, notebook & mobile phone covers, etc with your bands logo and lots of other things, be creative.
    There are lots of sites online, that will produce those goods for you. You just need to upload your logo, set a price and earn a small percentage while the biggest part is earned by the company, but you do not have a costs for the production and don't have to care about sending the bought items to your fans, as the company does it all for you.

Have a little signup form to your newsletter for your fans, so they can sign up to get informed about your net gig, your next album and everything else about you or your band. Don't spam your fans with useless emails, but send them information or photos which are special and are not available in the public. That makes your fans feel special, treat your fans like friends.

Use the major social networks and link them all from and to your own website, to reach a bigger audience.

If you play live, offer your cds for sale at the concernt/liveact. You can sell "special editions" on your concert/liveact, which also include a t-shirt, or a cd with your autograph, or a band poster or any other additional gift, which your fans would think is cool to have. You also might think about selling branded (your band logo again) usb-sticks with your music, concert-photos, band-videos and more on it. I say it again, be creative, there is always something people will like and buy, especially if they are real fans .
    If you don't want to sell usb sticks, you can sell dvds instead of cds and include pictures and videos on there as a dvd has plenty of space for data.

While your music can easily be copied, since everythings becomes digital, a t-shirt or any other physical goods can't be copied with a computer, so you can earn some additional money here.

Be creative, there's much more you can do to increase your income.
    They most important part might be to give away some stuff for free, especially if you do not have many fans yet and need promotion to get know. Free stuff spreads fast if it is good

Hope there were some helpful and inspiring tipps for you.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I think each "scene" has it's own methodology/requirements for making money in it. Some elements are of course similar but some other key ones aren't. One of the most overlooked and least discussed elements is vetting. This involves having a relationship with someone in a position in the scene who can give you a "boost up". They might assist in getting a spot at a gig, or meeting someone key to launching the success, or getting a contract with a high paying label, etc, etc.

For example, the "band scene". E.g. Indie Rock, Rock, Metal, etc. This scene is the standard scene in a lot of ways. Not too much to go over here; exposure via gigs is key, as mentioned above, creating a fan base, video clips and then merchandise and more exposure. Vetting in this scene will save a lot of the ground work in this scene.

The "dance scene" should be split into two imo; DJs and producers. Making money as a DJ involves much of the same as the band scene, vetting also saving a lot of the ground work. Making money as a producer only involves similar things but in different amounts; vetting here is much more key. Without vetting getting exposure and a fan base requires a lot more ground work; this is because there's no performance.
    Last edited by Audi01; 04-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information