Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro

[REQ] PA Tutorial

edit

delete thread pls
    Last edited by Audi01; 10-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    would be a good idea to list what gear your gonna be using,any bands ? mics ? where the PA come from ? hiring ? maybe it comes with cross overs,maybe not (should do rig that size) ... live mixing desk front of house? .. it hard to help without knowing what your using,size of venue ... anyhoo,once its all hooked up its same rules as a home studio,cept a lot louder (that mic switching on will deafen everybody on an unmuted channel)

some stuff you already know,but some may not ... sowy !

get everything together that your gonna use at least the day before ... (if its hire,pick it up early morning)

hook everything up making sure everything works then use white insulation tape and a black marker pen to mark every connection (easiest colors to see under flashing colored lights should something go wrong) i.e cable 1 goes into socket 1,2 into 2 e.t.c

try and tape cables together into looms,you want everything to be as simple and as quick as possible when you get to the gig

looms and extra long cables should be on drums,they get very heavy

wrap all cables exactly the same way,long runs (if you can) should be wrapped over your right arm,holding the end so it sticks out pointing away from you held between thumb and first finger,wrap the rest over your 3 remaining fingers down your hand and over your elbow,when you get to the end wrap it over the whole loop and tie a securing knot (sounds bad,but good quality cable can take it )
    when you unwrap em,untie the knot holding what was the knotted end and throw the rest of the cable to where you want it,it will unwrap without snags cos you wrapped em all the same way it takes seconds to run em out
    power cables and lighting cables should cross audio cables at 90 degrees kinda like + ... minimizes interference

drunks use anything of yours as a beer table/seat so don't stick amps where beer can be spilled onto em,watch your speaker towers placement,the drunk can knock em over ...

find out where the car park security camera is and park the van close to that,drunk peeps will steal anything ...

have a well kitted out tool kit.solder,soldering iron,tuner,spare cables,jacks .. anything you can think of (i had to make a cable once 2 mins before the gig :( )

soundcheck levels will be different to the gig levels,rooms got bodies in now ...
    i need foooood !! ciao

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Bastard,was looking forward to this thread :( !!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I think i'll leave this thread here, as cheesy wrote a lot of interesting things (well, expect of the word bastard)

Maybe it will be helpful and interesting for others too.
    There will come a time when you've tried everything you're not and the only thing left will be what you are

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    It's very interesting to me!

It seems that tB is the only one around here who performs live on a regular basis..

I'd love to talk cables and cabs and foldback and feedback. But you studio guys would be bored to bits.

@hqf.. If you want to borrow my PA... I got a small warehouse full of them.

tB.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by theBadger View Post

@hqf.. If you want to borrow my PA... I got a small warehouse full of them.

tB.
    nice one

can he borrow a badger too ?

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    yes good info there ty

it will probably be:

indoor venue
    30ft ceiling
    square interior fit about 1000 people
    10+ KW
    hire a/v (which I know will setup a config for me, but I'm interested to learn...which I was what I did after posting up here...then realised these are some noob questions so delete thread*.

hmm..tape...i can see the use in tape...i better make a shopping list i can see...

Thread Information