Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

As slippery as...

You recording musicians may never have experienced this phenomenon. Or if you have, you just stop the tape and punch back in.

The slippery slope solo scenario.

Now. Presently, I am going to need a metaphor. As slippery as... Hmmm. I can't think of a good metaphor. So far I've got..

• the Icy pavement under an old lady in a hurry.
    • a freshly lubricated salamander.
    • the bar of soap in a detention centre communial shower.
    • a mud wrestler's thighs.
    • a bucket of eels.
    • a buttered fish.
    • a greased politician.
    • a Slippery Nipple*.
    • noodles in your knickers.
    • a frog-skin duvet.
    • a pair of banana sneakers.

None of these quite do justice to the slippery solo scenario:

You are playing a song and it your big moment, your big solo. But at the crucial moment something distracts you and you come in late. Not too late, just a hundred milliseconds would be enough. Just late enough so that you are chasing yourself to catch up. But you can't catch up because you are on the slippery slope. You are not quite in the right place.

What you could and probably should do is skip a note or two and come back in the right place but because you are so close you think you can claw your way back into the solo.

You can't. The solo has become as slippery as...
    [insert your metaphor here] and you will end up in a sweaty heap of frustration, fear and failure.

Last night I was distracted by a particularly wriggly girl in a tight dress. I went to play the solo on the wrong keyboard and caught myself just in time. But. While I moved my hands to the correct keyboard I had lost vital milliseconds. And so I embarked on a rendition of "man plays loud but totally incompetent keyboard solo whilst miming what it might look like if he had an octopus in his trousers."

* Slippery Nipple = cocktail made from Baileys and Sambuca.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Did anyone except you even notice that ?

I hope you enjoyed the gig anyway.
    There will come a time when you've tried everything you're not and the only thing left will be what you are

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I always enjoy the gig.

After all these years I haven't stopped being amazed by the sound that four blokes can make with some strings nailed to a plank of wood, a few up turned buckets, a keyboard or two and some microphones.

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

tB.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    hehe...

so tB, then i guess it doesn't even matter that you slipped into a very "laid back" style, since you had fun anyway.

Ain't it those "mistakes" that give the music a human touch and not a machine touch ?
    There will come a time when you've tried everything you're not and the only thing left will be what you are

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    It is also worth remembering that not all mistakes made on stage are seen/heard as mistakes by the listeners, unless they know exactly what the music should be like note-for-note!

Years ago I was doing a gig in Birmingham (UK).. halfway through a piece my memory took a vacation. My brain went completely blank! Just like that! I did not want to stop halfway through so I stumbled a few notes here and there trying to remember the piece and trying to find a way back into it. Eventually it came back to me, I found a loop in my rubbishing, went back into the piece and finished it.
    Two months later I did another gig in the same town, but different venue. I also played "that" piece but this time all went smoothly.
    Then at the mid 15 mins brake, while I was having a drink, a guy approached me.. complimented me for my playing and then said: "you know, 2 months ago you played in such and such and when you played "that" piece" you did a great impro halfway through it. Shame you didn't do it tonight:"!!!!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Sometimes. Not often. But on rare and bizarre occasions...

I'll make a mistake, maybe playing a phrase a perfect third up from where it 'should' be...

and like it so much that from that moment on, it sounds better than right.

So I keep doing it.

tB.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Slippery Nipples were my favourite drink for a long time...yummm

lol @ the thread...I can imagine..."no I won't skip the notes I've almost got it....!" lol

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    About "skipping notes"... I have (almost) learned to skip all the notes that I can't play, specially the fast ones!!!

Thread Information