DJ
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur

hiFi & loFi - Per Pedes (Preview)

PREVIEW! very extended verion :P
    enjoy
    Last edited by agex; 09-09-2013 at 01:24 AM.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    I really like this one too. A lot. Can I get an mp3 of this pls?

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    pfft I don't want to record the output from here! 320K mp3 please...or wav!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Getting back to agey's preview...

On my system, this mix sounds very smooth; like sucking a warm pebble. In a good way. It has texture and depth yet doesn't have any nasty spiky sounds that are jarring and out of place. I've noticed this on many of agex's songs.

How do you achieve this aX?

tB.

I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    thx for feedback

@audi: yup soon m8

Quote Originally Posted by theBadger View Post
    How do you achieve this aX?
    It's all about timing. shifting tracks by milliseconds until they fit perfect in to the soundset.
    It takes hours, you need good hearing and alot concentration.

cheers
    agex
    Last edited by agex; 09-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Ah yes... The mixing by shifting technique... I'm already trying to get my head around that one. It is difficult but very effective when done right.

I shall practice more.

tB.

I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by theBadger View Post
    Ah yes... The mixing by shifting technique... I'm already trying to get my head around that one. It is difficult but very effective when done right.
    I don't know if what i'm doing is the ulitmate way or if it's too much affort you have to put on it. But for example you have a kick and a good bass with a little punch. Just adding them both to your prgramm may sound good. But could be better.

I think of the waveforms and how the two sounds will interfer with each other. like if they waveforms overlap it may sound too much or out of sync (depends). By moving the bass milliseconds fore or back it perheps sound much much better. In my songs the only constant is the drum which stays at 0 ms. All other sounds will be shifted so they fit or show their real potenial in the "soundcloud". This is also really importent with sounds which use (almost) the same frequenzies. they may surpress or overlap each other. By shifting the a track or just parts inside a loop will probably give it better feel. You also can modifiy the groove that way / make it more dynamic.

Do you know this feeling when you are in a good mood and some track makes you move because you hear a certain groove. Then another time you hear again and it sounds different. My explanation for this is that your brain shifts the sounds in a certain way. What i try to do its to make the track sound exactly like i want it to groove. so your brain doen't need to shift things to make it sound "perfect".

Lots of attention and patience is needed to to do that. And good headphones or very loud speaker as you need to hear everything, every frequency. This way you will hear differences by shifting a track/sample/loop by 1 millisecond.

All this takes a lot of time. I wasted many hours or even days until i was pleased with the result.

To try it the fast way and if you never played with shifting: Take a track of yours and shift the drum by +6 ms (for songs with 120 to 130 bpm). You will hear that the groove will change and it probably feels better. Much because the hihat when played between the drums will play earlier which in most cases sound better.

Yeah thats it. Lately i spent more time shifting the tracks/loops/samples then to play around with samples.

Try it. you will be impressed of the sound. It will feel warmer and more dynamic and not that straight and flat or even boring. :P

Yeah. Thats all i can tell you and what i recommand you to try.

Do it with headphones as you will hear the changes much more better. Using speaker is not that easy beacause you need to make it very loud to hear the differnces and the whole result. But as it takes quite a lot time you ears will get tired and the result will maybe get bad afterall. Well, you need more then one session to make everything sound perfect as your ears really get tired after some time, headphones or not.

If you start to hear the changes and get used to it you more and more hear the glitches in your songs others might not even notice. Sometimes only single Sounds inside for example a loop are misplaced and you need to shift them. Sometimes you need to to shift every Sound in a loop. Using the grid of the seqencer will mostly result in flat sounds. Turn off the grid and zoom in and move the sound around. just a little bit until you are happy with the result.

Have fun making "new" music.

greetz
    agex
    Last edited by agex; 09-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.

I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Just read about psychoacustic on wikipedia. I don't understand one word. My interpretation of the words meaing is cooler.

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Great info agex - I think it should be turned into an article: "Sample Timeshifting" or something

I am
    DJ
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    THX agex!
    Very well explained
    I do this from time to time too. And i do this also on tone generator level at the amp or filter envelope, even in a more drastic manner e.g. on a kick drum stack where a kick is for punch and another for the body with an attack fade in....
    Yeah. It is importent on every level. Sequenzer, loop and sample. It's very interessting what you can do with samples, synth and/or efx when you use them right.

Having a virtual view of the waveforms, modulators and envelops makes it easy to understand what you actually doing with sound. I like ableton live because of this. The sampler and efx give you a optical view of what you are doing to the sound.

I love ableton live !

agex

Thread Information