Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

How important are Lyrics?

I'm terrible at listening to songs. I have a habit of analysing the chord structures, appreciating the production or attempting to work out a harmony to the main melody.

I rarely listen to the lyrics.

There's a song that is played on the radio a lot here. It's lyrics seem to be:

"Shine bright like a diamond" Repeated over and over again in a shouty voice.

I notice the lyrics for that song but only because they are annoying.

Even then, I suspect there are more words in the song that I just ignore.

There are some songs where I listen to and appreciate the words:

Luka by Susanne Vega

Through the Barricades by Spandau Ballet

Two Beds And a Coffee Machine by Savage Garden

I guess I'm just lazy.

Are the words to songs important to your appreciation of music? What do you like/not like?

tB.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Actually i think the power of the music is in it's frequencies. I always loved instrumental music, because it is universal, unlike lyrics, which are limited to the human that can understand the language they are written in.
    Unfortunately many lyrics of these times are pure trash. I mean, telling our young generation that the world is only about sex without love, drugs/alcohol and party can't be positive at all. (Note to self and others: Don't hijack this thread and steer it into the*youknowwhich* direction please)

Sometimes there is music, which has some really good lyrics, that do have some real sense. Those are lyrics i like.

Lyrics (singing) can also add a whole new dimension to music, as it could be seen/heard as another instrument - the voice. My music was almost always only instrumental, but that was because i can't sing and had no singers to team up. I noticed, a singer can turn a 'boring' or 'empty' song, into something that becomes alive.

So, yes i like lyrics, but it really depends a lot on what they are about.

But i could also just listen to pure instrumental music aswell, without missing anything.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Amateur
    very important .. ish .. the right word in the right place will make a singer react differently,he will attack part of a song in a way that has meaning to him ..
    ever had that singer that was great but couldn't get that one part ?? change the bloody words,problem solved ...

but i never listen to lyrics .. well not unless asked to,pitch and feel are what i like... writing is different,they gotta be something like,have at least some meaning and bounce along rhythmically ...

btw i hate that fooking "Shite white like a Simon" song to badgey (whatever happened to white dog poo on the streets ? change in winalot recipe? ((it was those scottie dogs :yes )) )

Thread Information