Community Tip - Super Fast Boom Separate Outputs

04-14-2014 07:23 AM

Community member Donald Crees sumitted his tip on a superfast way to create separate outputs in Boom.
I love working with Boom. However, not everybody is that keen, rightly point out, the drum machine lacks the means by which to send each pad to separate tracks for further processing. I’ve realised a work around, so simple, I feel it maybe stating the obvious – but as I couldn’t see a video doing the same, I thought I’d share what I’m calling The Boom Midi Method:

1. Firstly, create all the desired Boom patterns and sequentially lay them out in the track’s mdi note playlist, from the start to the end of the song.
  2. In Boom, open the standard Preset menu and select Save Settings As. Name your preset and save it in your Boom user folder (create one, if you haven’t done so).
  3. Right click on the track name containing the Boom plugin and select Duplicate from the menu.
  4. The Duplicate Tracks window should open. In the number of duplicates dialog box select the corresponding number of individual Boom pads you would like to use as separate tracks in Pro Tools. For example, in my project I wanted to independently process Boom’s kick, snare, and clap, so I selected 3 in the number of duplicates dialog box. Click on Okay.
  5. At this point, the duplicated tracks should be highlighted, and it’s good opportunity to right click on one of them to Rename each individual track as the desired pad (e.g. I renamed my three duplicates, Kick, Snare, Clap).
  6. The duplicates have created several instances of Boom with same midi notes in the playlist of each track. Our final tasks, therefore, are to solo the Boom pads for each duplicate track and mute the corresponding pads in the original instance of Boom. In the Kick track of my example, I clicked on the solo button of the kick pad in Boom. I did the equivalent for the Snare and Clap track.
  7. Finally, select the original instance of Boom and mute all the pads that now have individual tracks. I clicked on the mute button of each pad for kick, snare, and clap.
  8. You now have individual control of the duplicated pads in separate tracks of Pro Tools. If for some reason you need to make a change (pattern or tone) in Boom, save the preset again (as in the step 2), and select that same preset for each instance of Boom.

Well, there you go, if this is all very obvious, my excuse is I’m only a hobbyist!

Best wishes and thanks for your work at PTE.

For more Boom tips and tricks then check out our Boom video tutorial collection.