Community Tip - Improve Your Abilities To Write & Mix Music

10-27-2013 10:53 AM

With the support of iLok, more tips & tricks from the community. Here is one from Adrien Sacco….
Here’s a tip that helped me to push my abilities in writing and mixing music. Everyone is talking about the knowledge and the experience needed to write/mix music. But nobody is talking about the psychology that great producers have. You see, knowledge and experience are good, but without a good psychology, you’ll never be able to become better and to write or mix at professional levels. That’s because your brain always act consistently to the self-image you have of yourself. It rejects any behaviour inconsistent with that self-image. For example, if you think you are able to play and finish video games, then you’ll probably play and finish them. But if you think you are bad at video games, then you’ll probably be bad during the whole game. The same applies to music: if you think you are great, then you’ll be able to work at professionals standards. But if you think you will never be that great, then you’ll be stuck at an amateur/semi-pro level (the level you’ll achieve only depends on what you think you are able to achieve). There are two ways to change your self-image :

1. Reference Experiences (for example, if a producer you love tell you your music is great, it will give yourself a good reference experience, which will enhance your self-image)
  2. Imagination The second one requires a little bit more explanations: Your brain can’t make the difference between something you lived and something you vividly imagined. So, if you imagine yourself hanging out with a producer you love and then if you imagine he tells you he loves what you are doing, it will have the same results on your self-images as if you really lived that experience, giving you a good reference experience without even had to live that moment.

If you want more information on this subject, then I recommend you to read Psychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. That book changed my life, and I’m sure it has the ability to change yours!

If you would like the chance to win a stormtrooper iLok, courtesy of iLok, send in tips you think no one has thought about. Please don’t just send shortcuts which are easily found elsewhere, or pull ideas from the manual; instead, be creative about your tips & tricks. Please use the Contact Us page to send us have your tips.