Community Tip - Using Distortion In Audio Post & Sound Design

09-19-2013 10:00 AM

With the support of iLok, more tips & tricks from the community. Here is one from Jim Parker…
Hey guys. I just wanted to mention a small tip that I’ve really been having fun with lately. In the world of audio-post and sound design, try some free distortion plug-ins like the “SansAmp PSA”, or “Eleven Free” on some of your SFX library tracks.
For instance, when working with mechanical sounds, or gunshots, or explosions. Even whooshes benefit. Processing them with just a bit of grit from those guitar amp emulators takes the cold sterility out of them, and gives them a more modern “film -like” sound. It may be that it helps get those sounds actually closer to how our ear would hear them in real life.
I know that when someone fires a gun 10 ft from me, it doesn’t sound clean and pristine like many of library recordings. Rather, it breaks up in my ears from the shear sound pressure. Distortion from these free guitar amp sims are excellent in giving that grittiness you need to nasty up your promos and movie trailers!
If you would like the chance to win a stormtrooper iLok, courtesy of iLok, then send tips you think no one has thought about. Please don’t just send us a batch of shortcuts (which can be easily found elsewhere), or pull ideas straight from the manual; instead, be creative about your tips & tricks. Please use the Contact Us page to let us have your tips.