I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro

If you could make a plug in....

What plug in would you make?

It doesn't have to be real or even possible. It could be something like this:

A plug in that takes a source track and makes it fit a destination track so that it plays in the same key, with the same timing and groove. It just fits.

That's my idea.

What would your idea for a dream plug in be?

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Mastering engineer
    I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    A plugin that can do this.

You write a text.
    the plugin generates a voice after that text.
    After that you can take a sample of an accapella of Elvis or Obama speaking etc... and the plugin analizes the sample and the voice characteristics and generates a voice that imitates pretty good that voice from the sample.
    And you can also put midi notes on that voice and can manipulate certain parameters so that it sounds long/short up/down vibrato etc... like Obama/Elvis is singing but not like a vocoder or melodyne...more realistic & natural !

PS: and maby you can morph between the 2 voices Elvis to Obama

So with this plugin you can make new original songs with Elvis singing on a 2013 song
    Last edited by logic; 09-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    It could be called "Elvis for President"

Yes. It would be even cooler if you could sing badly onto a track and then have it 're-voiced' to someone else's vocal sound, like Elvis or Obama or Adele or anyone with a five letter name.

Like a sort of Vocaloid that you don't have to programme and that doesn't sound like a Japanese Anime Robot Sex Toy.

A good idea for a plugin logic.

How about a VSTi that connects you to real musicians around the world. They get a copy of the midi track and they play it properly on a real instrument. You listen to all the submitted tracks and pay for the one you like best. A Virtual-Session-Musician VSTi. (c) theBadger 2013.

Keep those ideas coming folks.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    a drum vst that actually sounds like a drummer playing.
    it's not the kits out there.. they sound fine... but programming that EASILY can mimic the human aspects.
    this could be done in the daw too.. now i know there are some tricks you can do like messing with the tempo and individually going in and randomizing drum notes against the grid.
    but it never "feels" quite right.. and its so painstaking... you can never guess where the notes would fall like a drummer could do it... you just start sliding things around and hope you dont get to far out and you went the right direction...
    it sucks.
    i wish they could some how fix that. i dont think they ever will be able too though.. nothing creates the feel of real musicians.. and drums are so critical to the songs...

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Ah, micro-timing again.

Those teeny-tiny adjustments that human drummers (and bass players) make instinctively and yet have a dramatic effect on the sound and feel of the track.

I should add a micro-timing button to my "Make it fit" plugin.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    thats it.. micro timing!

I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Amateur
    im going to go for one of those infra red feedback devices that all the game boxes have now... kinnect and playstation..... whatever they are called etc...

im thinking of an infra red feedback device that captures human movements and converts them in some way into midi. Dancing drumming, air guitaring, air violining .... whatever., all these could be captured into the lovely continuous data. No sense interfacing with just a piano now is there. A nice way to humanise i think. You dance and the music goes to your beat.

I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    your idea reminds me of the theramin!

Admin

I am
    Audio engineer
    I am
    Musician

Skill level
    Semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    im going to go for one of those infra red feedback devices that all the game boxes have now... kinnect and playstation..... whatever they are called etc...

im thinking of an infra red feedback device that captures human movements and converts them in some way into midi. Dancing drumming, air guitaring, air violining .... whatever., all these could be captured into the lovely continuous data. No sense interfacing with just a piano now is there. A nice way to humanise i think. You dance and the music goes to your beat.
    I like that idea... You dance and they music plays to you... I like that a lot.

Although, what roon's whole body theremin plug in would make of tB's lurching and occasionally physically dangerous dance moves is questionable

tB

I am
    Musician
    I am
    Sound designer

Skill level
    Amateur
    I would wear that hat all the time. Very handsome
    Badger , i googled and there are some nerds already doing this. Nothing is new under the sun. Im sure your epileptic dancing would be fine.
    Last edited by r00n; 09-20-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Thread Information