What on the planet Earth is Giada Loop Machine?
Their Website says...
WHAT DOES IT DO?Giada is a free, minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs, live performers and electronic musicians. How does it work? Just pick up your channel, fill it with samples or MIDI events and start the show by using this tiny piece of software as a loop machine, drum machine, sequencer, live sampler or yet as a plugin/effect host. Giada aims to be a compact and portable virtual device for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows for production use and live sets.
Lots of ways of understanding Giada
Giada gives you the chance to play in several ways, described below.
- Static way — the master play is turned off, channels start to play immediately as their corresponding key is pressed. No further actions are performed; looped channels and quantizer are useless. This mode is designed to work in parallel with another stream (e.g. a DJ set), transforming Giada into a live sample player;
- Loop way — each channel contains an element of the song: channel 1 stores drums, channel 2 stores pads, channel 3 stores leads and so on. While the master play is running you control all the channels that are in loop mode. You can also overlay effects and other sounds by playing the remaining channels in one shot mode. The quantizer helps you to align those samples to the grid;
- Live record way — this mode works like the previous one, but in addition allows you to record actions in the channels, possibly building the structure of the entire track from scratch. You can turn on the quantizer to store a beat-precise performance;
- Offline record way — load up your samples, then open the action editor in which you draw the actions manually. The concept is exactly the same as the live record, but it guarantees you more accuracy and precision (and tranquillity);
- Live sampler way — instead of loading samples from disk, record them from the real world. Those sounds become regular samples that you can use in any of the ways previously discussed.
I say: WHAT? What does it actually do?
tB is baffled.