Advice On How To Proceed After The iLok Migration

06-11-2013 06:27 PM

As I am sure most of you are aware iLok undertook a massive migration of their systems and released a new License Manager application. Overall it has been very successful and the vast majority of users have had no problems, however a very small number of users have had some problems, including some of the Pro Tools Expert team, for example, where some licenses show up as ‘Temporary’ that were Full licenses before the migration. So we wanted to give all iLok users some tips on how best to proceed.
There are two ways forward depending on whether you have downloaded and synced your iLoks using the new iLok License Manager or not.

1. If you haven’t done anything since the weekend, then don’t download and run the license manager just yet. We recommend you go to and log in with your normal user name and password. This will allow you to view the database ‘post migration’. You can scroll down and check that all your licenses have make the transition onto the new system. Once you have logged in, click on the View Account button near the top left of the screen just under the logo. At the bottom on the window you will now see a table with all your iLoks listed. Click on the first iLok (if you have more than one) and the window will extend downwards and show all the licenses that are on that iLok. Scroll down and look at the Type column looking for ‘Temporary’. If you see any that are Temporary (that shouldn’t be) make a note of them and then do nothing, don’t install the License Manager and don’t Sync your iLoks. Check back in a few hours and see if they have changed. The iLok team are working incredibly hard to go through the millions of licenses on their system and fix the data that didn’t make the transition properly. In my case when I checked 8 hours ago I have several ‘Temporary’ licenses that shouldn’t have been listed as such. I have just logged in again and they have all been fixed. Your’s might not have been fixed yet, but rest assured they are working through them as fast as possible. Once the licenses are no longer listed as Temporary then when you are ready (and not in the middle of a critical project, wait until it is all done and you have some downtime) download, install and run the iLok License Manager software and all should be OK.
  2. If you have downloaded the License Manager and Synced your iLok(s) and you have problems with license becoming Temporary then we recommend the advice given by the iLok team on this site.
    If your iLok had been seen by our server and your license is no longer working, please plug in the iLok and deactivate each of the affected licenses. To do this, open the Detail pane, then select the license from the license grid at the top. Choose the Deactivate link. Once the licenses are deactivated, you may then re-activate each one by putting them back onto your iLok.

If after following these guidelines you are still having problems then please get in touch with iLok using this link and they work with you to fix your issues. They are monitoring the support tickets extra specially closely during extra long hours to help to get every last user back on track.
To be fair to the iLok team the number of actual problems has been incredibly small compared to the number of accounts and licenses they have had to migrate onto the new system. Of course for anyone unfortunate enough to have suffered problems that is little conciliation but we have been in regular contact with the iLok team and we know they won’t rest until every last user is sorted.